Sunday, February 7, 2010

Buddy Holly Meets the StereoKid

When I was a teenager going to rock shows was an escape. For a couple of years around 1980 our group would regularly head off to exotic locations like 'Toronto' or 'Kitchener' (we were from Clifford!) to catch the acts of the day, not missing too much. But Friday February 5th offered a new concert experience for me.

My son Austen and I traveled to St. Catharines to see a number of bands, including StereoKid, USS, and illScarlet, perform at the CAW Hall. We enjoyed the concert, and I was impressed by the community driven, grass roots feel of the event. Our coats were checked on the way in (by young volunteers), drinks were sold and served at reasonable prices (likely by CAW members) and the band members themselves sold their merchandise from folding tables at the back of the hall. And throughout the show, the performers could be seen in the crowd, signing autographs and enjoying the show.

The event reminded me of what it must of been like in the 1950's, when rock and roll was born and bands would be packaged together to barnstorm small dance halls and community centres across North America. Famously, Buddy Holly was killed on February 3, 1959 on a concert tour.

My introduction to rock shows was the overproduced spectacles at venues like Maple Leaf Gardens and the old CNE Grandstand. As I get a little older, I'm looking forward to attending more family friendly events with my son, and in a few years my daughter, too. Perhaps StereoKid was channeling the spirit of Buddy Holly this past Friday night in St. Catharines?

1 comment:

  1. as well as the spirit of the big bopper and ritchie valens. thank you so much for coming out to the show and taking the time to write this article. it means more than u could imagine
    -Greg (from stereokid)

    ReplyDelete